Samantha Latouche has been selected as Lewisham Labour’s candidate for the New Cross by-election taking place the same day as the London Mayoral Election on 6 May 2021.
- Samantha was formerly Chair of Lewisham Speaking Up – an advocacy group for people with learning disabilities.
- Samantha has dedicated her career to empowering people and communities through social housing programmes and through managing jobs and skills programmes.
- Samantha has lived in Lewisham for over 20 years
“I am delighted to have been selected as Labour’s candidate in New Cross and I am looking forward to campaigning with our residents and members. Whether it is on housing, education or clean air I know the issues that matter the most to people in New Cross and will champion these issues. I am determined to be a voice for those who feel they don’t have a voice or feel they have no power to make positive changes, either within themselves or within their community.”
Following the sudden passing of Councillor Sue Hordijenko, a by-election has also been called in Bellingham. Rachel Onikosi has been selected for the Bellingham by-election, taking place the same day as the London Mayoral Election on 6 May 2021.
- Rachel was previously Labour Councillor for Sydenham from 2014-2018 when she served as Cabinet Member for the Public Realm.
- She brings a wealth of experience in policy, investigations and the judiciary, and uses this to campaign against Modern Day Slavery.
“I couldn’t be more excited to have been selected to contest the Bellingham by-election. Sue was a brilliant councillor and I hope with the support of our wonderful members and residents I will be able to continue her legacy. I cannot wait to get back to serving residents again, and seeing the real difference that Lewisham Labour can make to people’s lives in Lewisham.”
Damien Egan, Mayor of Lewisham, welcomed Samantha & Rachel’s selection:
“Samantha & Rachel are incredible candidates and if elected I know will both be brilliant councillors for all residents in New Cross & Bellingham. They both bring a fantastic range of experience and if elected will make an invaluable contribution to the council and our community.”